Bed Bug Safety Tips When Renting a Car
It's super easy to rent a car these days. Step off the plan, walk to the counter, and there you go. A new car to tour around in. But, what else is in that car? Could bed bugs be an optional feature you didn't expect? You bet they could be.
So take care in your rental! Here are some tips so you can hit the road in safety.
Bedbug tips when renting a car:
- Our first piece of advice would be to look online for any bed bug complaints. In general when people have complaints about anything – service, cleanliness, etc. they will be eager to complain online. Bed bugs are certainly no exception!
- Ask what measures the car rental company specifically takes for bed bug prevention.
- When first getting in the car, look for any signs of bed bugs; primarily along the seams of the fabric in the car, and in the trunk. Lift up the spare tire cover. Look along the edges of the seats- where the fabric meets the plastic- for bed bugs, eggs, and fecal stains from bed bugs.
- Use bed bug proof laundry bags and luggage liners in the car.
- Hanging clothing rather than putting it on the seats will also be helpful. If you are in a place with hot weather, park outside in the heat, because while it may be uncomfortable for you until your AC kicks in, bed bugs usually can’t survive it.
- Ultimately, you can never be sure that the person who was in the rental car before you didn’t leave bed bugs behind, so it is important to check your clothing and skin for bed bugs immediately after exiting the car; at least the first few times.