Bed Bug Safety Tips When Renting Storage
Storage rentals are a great way to get rid of extra clutter around the house. But, with communal walls, it's a prime situation for getting bed bugs.
Avoid bedbugs at all costs with these great tips.
Bedbug tips for renting storage:
- Look online for storage facilities with reviews you can trust, especially if you are storing furniture, or cloth items.
- Ask the storage facilities what if any precautions they take against bed bugs. Shrink wrap items if possible.
- Check unit regularly for and signs of bed bugs.
- Using places with mostly commercial storage may be a slightly better bet since they most likely have new products that have not been in individual homes yet.
- Seal as much as you can in bed bug proof encasements, anti-bedbug laundry bags, and bed bug proof luggage liners.
- If it just won’t fit, airtight plastic should also do the trick.
- Steaming your belongings before bringing them back into your home is a good idea because bed bugs can’t survive that.
- Vikane Gas is a bit more expensive, but is a good way to go, especially if you have found signs of bed bugs. – And it’s still cheaper than paying for a house-wide extermination.
- Make sure the truck taking your belongings home is bed bug free.
More bedbug tips to protect your home:
When getting married & setting up a new home
When buying your first bed
When using a cleaning service
Bed Bug Tips for Landlords
When choosing a caterer
When renovating or redecorating
When buying an apartment/home
When returning from a trip
When living in a multi-unit house
When renting an apartment/home
When renting furniture (for home, office, or party)
When inviting guests
Preparing for Bed Bug Exterminator Services