Bed Bug Safety Tips When Preparing for Bed Bug Extermination
Finding an exterminator is not always so clear cut. Are they licensed? Are they experienced with bed bugs? Are they trustworthy? Are they reasonably priced?
Here are some tips to help you get the right folks for bed bug extermination.
Tips for choosing a bed bug exterminator:
Note: Every Pest Control Professional has slightly different requirements and you should check with them. Below are the general requirements.
- Make sure your pest control professional is authorized, licensed and has bed bug experience.
- Don’t be shy! Call references and look up service ratings on line; bed bug extermination is a tough job and requires thorough and professional training.
- Ask your exterminator whether or not their treatment includes post-treatment bedding encasements from Bedbug.com.
Tips for preparing beds before bed bug extermination:
- Remove all bedding, including mattress covers, bed skirts, etc., from bed.
- Stand up (stripped) mattresses and box springs and lean them against your bedroom wall.
- Take apart all bed frames.
Tips for preparing rooms before bed bug extermination:
- Wash and dry all bedding, furniture dressing, rugs and curtains on high temperature settings (over 140 degrees Fahrenheit to be safe).
- Remove all picture frames, mirrors & other wall hangings from the walls.
- Put all clutter & accessories from walls and shelves in sealed bags in a separate room.
- Pull all furniture away from walls to allow for treatment to be applied to the perimeter of the room as well as to electrical outlets (a favorite hiding place for bed bugs).
- Remove cheesecloth from underside of box springs (Often the exterminator will do this for you).
- Remove all pets from the premises.
- Many exterminators will ask you to vacuum your home thoroughly before and after the inspection.
Tips for preparing clothing before bed bug extermination:
More bedbug tips to protect your home:
When getting married & setting up a new home
When buying your first bed
When using a cleaning service
Bed Bug Tips for Landlords
When choosing a caterer
When renovating or redecorating
When buying an apartment/home
When returning from a trip
When renting an apartment/home
When living in a multi-unit house
When renting furniture (for home, office, or party)
When renting storage
When inviting guests