Bed Bug Safety Tips When Camping
Nothing like the great outdoors! Wide open blue skies, views, vistas and … bed bugs. Yep. You may want to avoid these blood suckers while out there camping.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep them home on the range, and you safe at home.
Tips to avoid bedbugs when camping:
- Know what a bed bug and bed bug bite looks like, and be familiar with the signs of a bed bug infestation.
- Pack 1% hydrocortisone cream to provide relief in case you are bitten.
- Water proof your tent, and kept it sealed whenever possible.
- Use bed bug proof laundry bags and luggage liners and keep them sealed whenever possible.
- Leave your shoes in bed bug proof laundry bags when not in use.
- Before entering your sleeping bag, check your clothes and body for hitchhiking bed bugs.
- Kill visible eggs with rubbing alcohol.
More tips to protect against bedbugs while traveling:
When going to a hotel
When renting a recreational vehicle (RV,camper)
When renting a car
When taking a cruise
When using public transportation (taxi, train or bus)